Bernina vs Baby Lock

Need help? looking for advise? Any Sewing machine related problems, Lost manuals, Pattern advise ask here.

Bernina vs Baby Lock

Postby wolfpack98 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:48 pm

Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide which one to get my wife for Christmas. I haven't had much luck finding reviews in the traditional sense so I was hoping some people here would help me out. I dug around the forums but didn't see anything that could answer my questions. So here it is.

My wife has taken a few classes, made us some curtains, etc and would like to do more sewing with two girls on the way in March. I know she used a Bernina in the classes and really liked them. I know they are pricey, but of course I know they are top of the line as well. We also have a Baby Lock dealer nearby that I have talked to and they seem like very nice machines, especially with that auto threader and thread cutting feature. Even got one or positive responses about them.

So I am considering the Bernina 430(without the embroidery attachment to start) versus the Baby Lock Ellure Plus(which comes with an embroidery attachment). Both are about the same price(disregarding the fact that I need to buy the $1000 embroidery attachment for the Bernina down the line, so yes it would be more expensive down the line).

She is probably going to kill me anyway for spending that much but I thought at least with the Baby Lock she has the embroidery already built in for the twins that are coming. How are the Baby Lock Machines? There didn't seem to be as many posts in the sewing machine problems forum but that could be that they just aren't as popular as the Bernina's. I don't think I could go wrong with the Bernina either, except for the extra cost of the embroidery part.

As a woodworker I can certainly appreciate a top of the line or very good working machine for my hobbies so I don't really want to do anything wrong with this selection. I would hope that whichever I choose could last 10-15 years or so for her until maybe she wanted something else. And both seem to have 20+year warranties on them.

Does one offer a better program with more options via the computer linkup? I have been ready their websites but can't quite tell. It does seem the Baby Lock has a few more features and isn't as expensive but probably isn't made quite to the standards of the Bernina either. Correct?

Any insight to either of these would be very much appreciated.

Steve :?:
wolfpack98

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:06 pm

I don't know very much about the Babylock, but I do know that my Bernina serger (the 1150MDA) was more than twice the price of my Brother 1034D serger, and I can feel and hear the difference with every stitch! The Brother isn't at all bad, but the Bernina is the biz! And I bought the two of them less han a month apart... You may well find the same with the sewing machines.

You need to have your wife try the machines, as, like cars and shoes, they need to be tried by the one using them.
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Postby JanS » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:06 am

I love my Babylock Esante. It is an embroidery and sewing machine. I have had it for 3 years now and never a problem. I take it in for maintenance periodically. I bought it with the embroidery part of the machine in mind. If you are buying mainly for the embroidery part of any machine make sure you can link the machine directly to your computer so you can upload embroidery patterns straight to the machine without any more add ons.

My machine handles nylon webbing and heavy duty cloth as well as the delicates without a problem. Make sure you get those free sewing lessons on how to sew with your new machine when you get it. Those lessons are extremely valuable.
Learn how to turn your sewing hobby into a business visit Sewing for Cash
Find your dream sewing job or list your services at The professional sewing jobs board
JanS

Postby wolfpack98 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:32 am

[quote="JanS"]I love my Babylock Esante. It is an embroidery and sewing machine. I have had it for 3 years now and never a problem. I take it in for maintenance periodically. I bought it with the embroidery part of the machine in mind. If you are buying mainly for the embroidery part of any machine make sure you can link the machine directly to your computer so you can upload embroidery patterns straight to the machine without any more add ons.

JanS - Did you have to buy extra software for the computer? If so what did you get and havs it been helpful?

Steve
wolfpack98

Postby JanS » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:01 am

I didn't need any special software for the computer. When the computer is linked up to the sewing machine via USB, the computer recognizes the the sewing machine as another hard drive and you can simply drag and drop the embroidery files from the computer to the sewing machine.

The only special software you would need is if you wanted to design your own patterns.
Learn how to turn your sewing hobby into a business visit Sewing for Cash
Find your dream sewing job or list your services at The professional sewing jobs board
JanS

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:17 am

Ah, there's the rub! You see, if I get into embroidery, that's the bit that I will need, for designing things like trim for Elizabethan costumes, Jacobean crewel work type designs, and 18th C stuff for stomachers, blackwork, and what-have-you...

I have a Brother or two in the wings waiting for assessment next year, so I'll get to play with some of this... Looking forward to the fun!
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Return to Sewing