Need tips on how to sew decorative braid on a pillow

Need help? looking for advise? Any Sewing machine related problems, Lost manuals, Pattern advise ask here.

Need tips on how to sew decorative braid on a pillow

Postby lovemyfoxterrier » Tue May 22, 2007 4:05 pm

I'm needing some help. I bought 1/2" decorative braid with a lip to sew on pillows. I'm having alot of difficulty getting this braid to look right, I'm using my zipper foot and sewing as close as I can to the edge of the braid but it doesn't look very good. Do you have to have a special machine to sew this type braid? Looks like you have to sew in part of the braid itself but it's so thick I'm not sure this is work on my machine. Any help is greatly appreciated.
lovemyfoxterrier

Postby woodywoodpecker598 » Wed May 23, 2007 8:56 am

I sew my trim on one side of the pillow with the raw edges even (or baste) and then when you sew both sides together try to stay just a smidgen inside the previous stitching line, so you are snug up against the trim. I suppose if you have a machine that you can move the needle on would make it easier. Mine doesn't. Hope this helps. I have always wondered how they get the trims sewn on that doesn't have any lip.
woodywoodpecker598

Postby denjim50s » Thu May 24, 2007 5:27 pm

Unfaced trims are usually hand sewn. Are the pillows already made and you are trying to add embellishment to them with the trim? If so, you will need to deconstruct the pillow's 4 side seams in order to correctly use the facing surface of the trim. Remove the pillows case (outter covering) so you are working with flat surfaces, rip out the 4 seams, place the trim between the ripped seams (right sides together!) and resew with the trims facing now being a part of the resewn seams. Turn right side out... and voila your pillow casing now has the trim attached.
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again, there is nothing new under the sun.
denjim50s

Sewing on military Flat Braids 1/2" wide on uniforms

Postby I love to sew » Mon May 05, 2008 1:45 pm

What is the best way to sew on flat braids for uniforms?
I love to sew

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Mon May 05, 2008 2:19 pm

I sew badges and braid on by machine, using matching thread and the most appropriate stitch for durability and invisibility. Some have to be hand stitched because of where they go and the effect required.
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Sewing on flat braids

Postby I love to sew » Mon May 05, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi

I'm making uniforms and the braids will be sewn across the upper bust, the middle bust and the waist areas on the uniforms. The braid are 1/2" wide.
I love to sew

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Mon May 05, 2008 9:17 pm

Machine sew the braid in place before assembling the garments.
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Stiching the Braid

Postby I love to sew » Tue May 06, 2008 2:01 am

Hi Kathy

Is it best to machine stick the braid down the middle or on the edge? As I will be sewing a 1/4" trim in the middle of the braid
I love to sew

Webiste

Postby I love to sew » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:00 pm

Kate XXXXXX wrote:Machine sew the braid in place before assembling the garments.

Hi Kate

Nice Website. I will bookmark it.
I love to sew

Return to Sewing