Thread breaking - See video -Singer Inspiration 4228

Has your machine gone wrong?. Are you looking for advice on using your machine? or looking to make a new project?. Click on forums below which relate to your sewing machine.

Thread breaking - See video -Singer Inspiration 4228

Postby Kenzie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:08 pm

I'm hoping someone has a suggestion as to what is wrong with my sewing machine. I've had this problem off and on since buying this machine about 2 years ago. I'll be sewing along (no matter what stitch -straight, zigzag, or decorative and with all fabric types) and the thread will just start to bunch up in front of the needle, fray out and break.
I'm assuming this is a problem with tension, but I don't know how to resolve it. My top thread tension is on "Auto" and I've tried moving it + or - but it still has the same problem.

It's a little hard to explain so I did a quick video to see if I could show the problem
(Click the pics to watch the video)

Watch the top thread in this video. You can see a knot form in the top tread before it goes in the needle

Any suggestions?
Kenzie

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:35 am

Usually, when the thread breaks like this it's a thread problem or a needle problem...

Which make and type of needle are you using? When did you last change it?

And what make of thread are you using?
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Postby Kenzie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:16 am

Thanks for the response! I'm using a regular Coats & Clark thread that is 37% Cotton / 63% Polyester and I've tried several colors to see if maybe it was just a bad/old spool but even new one's did the same.
I was using a Singer needle (the ones that came with the machine) I tried switching to a regular universal and it did the same thing. I switch to a new Singer needle (again, one out of the pack that came with my machine) and it still did it.

You'll notice that right before it knots up it seems to get a lot of slack in the top thread. That's what's making me think it may be a tension problem...but I have no clue :(
Kenzie

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:58 am

Try 'flossing' between the tension disks with a microfiber lens cloth.

I usually avoid Singer needles as they are very poor quality. I prefer Schmetz, Rhein, Gross-Beckert, and Klasse - all German made.

The thread you are using isn't sold here: I have Coates Duet polyester thread and Coats Cotton, both of which are excellent.

Have another (last!) go with 100% cotton thread and a non-Singer needle, and see what happens... If you still get the problem, it's time for a trip to the shop with it! Have you ever had it serviced?
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Postby Dale » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:00 pm

After watching your second video I believe this occuring somewhere through the tensioning process.

I had similar problems, albiet on industrial machines with larger thread needles etc, but the same applies here regardless of apllication.

try sewing a large test piece and observe the thread passing through the tensioning mech' you should hopeully pick this up fairly quickly. just keep in mind that because you see it at one point it might be before that point where the damage is taking place as it can take time for the thread to become unravelled

What generally occurs is the damage is minor and until it reaches a choking point such as a guide or the eye of a needle where it then gathers rapidly and creates an awful mess and the impression that that is the point where the damage is occuring

How was the tension of the stitches on the test piece in the second video? in paticular just before it appeared into view, if the tension has biased towards the top of the test piece this would indicate a point of friction such as uneven feeding off of the spool..i wont rant on any more I think you will get my point

it could be as simple as a bur on the spool catching the thread

I am keen to here of progress with this, as i understand how frustrating this can be

Just had another look at the video and noticed it is a knot, try checking the twist of the thread you are using check to see if it is the same as your other threads this can cause it to form knots. this is due to the direction that the thread is made to travel through the tensioning mech' conflicts with the way the thread want to lay due to the way it was twisted during manufacture

kind regards
Cheers

Dale
Dale

Return to Sewing machine problems