Singer 348 needle bar won't move

Singer 348 needle bar won't move

Postby merlina » Mon May 16, 2011 5:55 pm

I sew on my mother's old Singer 348, and I have about three yeas of sewing experience. While I was sewing recently, the needle hit a pin. The needle broke, and now the needle bar won't move up and down (it's stuck at the lowest point). The hand wheel turns only very sluggishly.

I managed to retrieve the broken needle and clear out all the thread. I also removed the arm covering plates, cleaned out the fuzz, and oiled the interior according to the instruction manual. The hand wheel still won't turn, the needle bar still won't move, and I'm at a loss. The only thing I haven't done is lubricate the gears in the arm, because I can't find the machine's lubricant.

Is there something I'm overlooking, or must I resign myself to finding a repair shop?

Thank you in advance for your advice.
merlina

Re: Singer 348 needle bar won't move

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Mon May 16, 2011 11:09 pm

The remains of the needle may be jammed in the shuttle. Take that out with care and give it a clean.
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Postby merlina » Tue May 17, 2011 2:03 am

Kate,

Thank you so much for your advice! I removed the bobbin case, and sure enough, there was an entire pin bent around the mechanism inside. After I removed the pin and cleaned out a bit more lint, the needle bar and hand wheel moved with ease. It's fixed! Thank you so much!!
merlina

Postby Kate XXXXXX » Tue May 17, 2011 7:45 am

Give it a good clean and oil it before using again. It'll do you both good! :)
Kate Dicey
http//:www.jollydicey.co.uk
Costumiers to the Discerning
Kate XXXXXX

Return to Singer